10 Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity You Must Know

Warning signs of mold toxicity could be hard to discover because they are closely related to other health problems. Unfortunately, many people realize at the point of pain when their body system starts malfunctioning that they have been exposed to toxic molds. Consequently, the pain feels deprives them of the comfort they desire. Thus, the only option left for them is to either expect a miracle or spend a whole lot of money on medical bills. The gist here is that no one is more immune from experiencing such a life-threatening situation. The reason is that we all live in environments where toxic molds are always present. How then can you know the warning signs of mold toxicity? Before discovering these signs, it is pertinent to understand the meaning of mold.

10 Warning Signs Of Mold Toxicity You Must Know

Read also:

What Is Mold And Mold Toxicity?

Molds are fungi that develop in humid, moisture, and wet environments, which produce cells called spores that cause the fungi to spread around the habitat. On the other hand, toxic molds are the organisms (usually a family of fungi) that produce toxic metabolites called mycotoxins, such as Stachybotrys chartarum and more. The transcription of toxic molds increases in humid areas and environments where the temperature level is low. Since some of these toxic molds cannot be seen, many people only feel the effect on their health or their properties. 

Here are some warning signs of mold toxicity.

1Discoloration: This is one of the most obvious signs of mold toxicity that tells you your properties are under fungi attack. These kinds of molds will disfigure your house, as they appear in horrible shapes and colors. However, they appear in different colors depending on their types. For instance: Alternaria appears in dark green or brown color while Penicillium appears in blue or green surfaces. There are other molds that appear in orange, black, grey, pink, purple, etc.  If the spread is not controlled on time, you may be compelled to constantly renovate your apartment, which might be too expensive for you to manage.

2. Signs of water damage: This is another common sign of mold toxicity in your house. In most cases, this sign appears on walls and makes the paint peel off by itself. More also, the visible indication could be in the form of cracks on your ceiling or walls. As a result of this, your house building will become structurally weak, which might cause it to collapse at an unexpected time and could claim your life.

3. Respiratory problem: Although not all molds produce an unpleasant odor. However, many of them do so whenever you perceive an offensive musty smell either from your bathroom, kitchen, and basement, you need to trace the direction the smell is emanating from to find out where the molds are. Failure to do so is likely to cause respiratory problems such as wheezing, sneezing, or difficulty in breathing. 

5. Allergy symptoms: Depending on how your body system works, the presence of mold in your house can cause you to start feeling strange and uncomfortable allergies such as coughing, sore throat, sinusitis, etc. 

6. Headaches: Another warning sign of mold toxicity is cephalalgia (aches in the head). Once you are in an environment where toxic molds grow. For example, sitting beside mold-dominated areas, you’ll be inhaling contaminated air by molds. As a result of this, you are likely to start feeling pains in your head each time your body system tries to fight back the fungi infection from entering your body through your nostrils. Failure to leave such an environment could trigger a chronic headache that might make you feel dizzy at the same time. 

7. Asthmatic attacks: Over the years, one of the widely known warning signs of mold toxicity is its ability to trigger an asthmatic attack. A common characteristic of toxic mold is that it deposits harmful cells known as mold spores in the air, which go into the human body system through the nostrils. Once this cell passes through the nose and transports into a human’s lung, an asthmatic attack is most likely to occur. Consequently, an adequate effort to terminate the existence of this deadly mold, such individuals are likely to have more severe asthmatic attacks in subsequent times, which can lead to death if care is not in place.

8. Irritated skin: Every human has tiny openings in their skin, generally known as skin pores. Whenever toxic mold spores try to enter your body system through skin pores, your immune system fights back and, as a result, might cause the skin to become itchy or swollen.

9. Sleep problems: Sleeping difficulty has been one of the well-known warning signs of mold toxicity. The reason is that many people find it difficult to fall asleep in a damp room full of musty smells. Aside from this, exposure to toxic molds could lead to indigestion which might make you feel constipated. 

Consequently, causing cramps in your intestine, leading to other symptoms such as diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, etc. All these symptoms will deprive you of the quality night rest you desire.

10. Itchy eye: Toxic molds produce deadly organisms called mycotoxins. These organisms are always present in the air, which makes them hard to avoid. Once your eyes contact these organisms, your eyes would start feeling spicy or watery, and in most cases, itching occurs.

11. Low immune system: This is one of the least mentioned warning signs of mold toxicity. However, it is deadly. Your immune system will become weak due to the continuous consumption of food items contaminated with mycotoxins. Some research concludes that this could increase your chances of developing cancer due to toxic mold’s presence in your cells.

Final Words 

Have you been experiencing any of the above signs? If yes, you should consider going for a checkup and use mold disinfectant or probably hire a professional environmental agent to help clean up your home.

You should also consider guiding your house against toxic molds even if you think you’re safe for now. 

Take caution because prevention is better than cure.